Monday, September 5, 2011

Wooden Oval Pumpkins


Fall is coming!  We celebrated with making a few pumpkins.


You will need:
Wooden oval shapes
Orange and brown paint
Glue - we used liquid nails.  Hot glue or wood glue would be fine too.
A little sand paper
A stem - we used a bit of grapevine wreath that I broke off.  You could use anything really, a stick from the yard, a popsicle stick painted brown......
Super strong magnets 


The boys got busy painting the ovals orange.  The thick gloppy painting style of little kids adds to the texture of the pumpkin.  No worries.  Let them have at it.  

Once those were dry I sanded them a little.  Heavy on the edges to expose the wood.  

A layer of brown paint over the entire oval went on.  Then with a paper towel rub off as much or as little of the brown as you like.  This leaves you with some more texture and a distressed look. 


Using clothes pins as clamps we got down to the business of gluing.  Just a dab of glue on one side of one of the disc, place it, clamp it.  I let that dry before adding the third disc.


Layer like so.

Once the glue is dry.  Add your stem with a dab of hot glue.  Now it's looking more pumpkin like.  Last, add your super strong magnet with a little strong glue like E-6000.  

And here they are hanging out on my fridge.


These will be super duper for displaying that art work from school.

Did I mention fall is on the way?  Yipeeeee  Oh, and I will be sharing {HERE}.

Share

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Love this idea!

Christy said...

This is great! I love it.

Esther said...

how fun and simple! I love the pumpkins in the black color background/fridge

evie @ brown paper packages said...

Very cute...love the paint job!

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Great idea...many possibilities. I love the natural stem. Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House.

Jen said...

I love how the pumpkins turned out! Fun fall project!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Awesome idea! I'm gonna try this great project with my 10 yr old. He'll LOVE it!

Zombie Leah said...

These are so awesome! Very clever. :)